Keeping you Family safe with First Alert

Thank you First Alert for sponsoring this post. Help ensure your home and family is protected with CO alarms!

The first time I heard about carbon monoxide poisoning was shortly after I had my first baby. Ever since then it’s been something that has scared me and been in the back of my mind. Throughout the years I’ve heard many heartbreaking stories about families that were affected by CO in their homes, and others that are grateful they saw the early signs and got safely out of their homes in time. I knew it was something I needed to think about more seriously to help keep me and my growing family safe from this deadly gas.

Carbon monoxide is nicknamed “the silent killer” because you can’t see it, hear it, or smell it. It’s responsible for an average of 430 deaths and more than 50,000 ER visits a year, ranking it the #1 cause of accidental deaths in the US. Thankfully there are easy ways to safeguard your family. Along with a CO alarm, First Alert has a few suggestions to help keep you protected. 

-Have your furnace, dryer vent, and chimney professionally serviced every year according to the manufacturer’s instructions

-Never leave a car running in an attached garage

-Do not use generators, gas-powered tools, or grills inside your home

-Replace your CO alarm batteries every six months

-Test your CO alarms regularly

Like a smoke detector, this CO alarm will sound if it detects dangerous levels of of CO in your home. That’s why I love this portable CO detector that doesn’t require hard wiring or installation. It can easily be placed anywhere in your home and has a battery that lasts for 10 years!!! That’s the best piece of mind.
Did you know that it is recommended to have one of these on each level of your home as well as inside every bredroom? This is something I just learned. I assumed if you just had one in your home that it was more than enough, but it’s not. I think it is also important to know the signs of CO poisoning so you can take quick life-saving action if needed.

-Mild Exposure: Slight headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue (Flu-like symptoms)

-Medium Exposure: Throbbing headache, drowsiness, confusion, fast heart rate

-Extreme Exposure: Convulsions, unconsciousness, heart and lung failure

I am happy to be teaming up with First Alert to help spread awareness about carbon monoxide safety. It’s something that is always in the back of my mind, especially during the winter season when we use our gas powered appliances more than any other time of the year. If you want to learn more please click on this link for information for CO alarms and how to help keep your family safe from this “silent killer”  I’m so glad I educated myself about CO. Now I can sleep better knowing I have done everything I can to keep my family safe!

-Grey Birch Designs-

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get on the List!

sign up to the newsletter to get the latest updates

DIY Projects

Seasonal Decor


Search by Category:

here you can search the blog posts by category. If you are looking for something specific, you can use the search bar.